Sunday, July 14, 2013

I made it!

After 25 days 6 hours and 34 minutes I made it finally to Antelope Wells. But had never thought I would. Before getting into the race finishing would have been unthinkable. But after I finished, it is more unthinkable than before. There was nearly no day I was not just about to quit. To be every day extremely goal focused to hit the 100 mile marker was a mental overkill. I had some very dark days!
Especially New Mexico obviously didn't want to see me in Antelope Wells. A lot of things went wrong and only with big effort I was able to stay within my 25 days goal. More than once I had the phone in my hand to call my quit. A damaged rear tire right before Milan/Grants (with no Bike service at all) almost cost me the successful finish. Only Walmart saved my life.
Just barely I was able to fix a flat front tire on the way to Pie Town.  
500 feet before I hit the pavement in Pie Town I rolled over my Smartphone. All the ACA maps, cue sheets and the emails from Matthew due to the second fire reroute were on the phone. An additional loss to my GoPro Hero3 camera that I lost in the Basin.
Heading on just with my GPS was a little bit risky, but in the meantime I've got the notion that this is a test. How much misfortune is someone able to bear. For me a reason to go on. The Bursum Road by night (very spooky) and a thunderstorm 20 miles before Silver City cost me one further day.
Why I didn't quit in the end? There is more than just one reason.
You don't trash four years of preparation with one hand. All the tons of stuff I read during this time, the reports from former racers and all the four editions of the Cordillera let me know, that there were people on the trail, who were sharing a similar story like me. 
And I did it for all those riders who were not able to finish the race due to medical issues. I saw the huge disappointment in their faces, because they were not able to ride their bikes any further. In contrast, I was blessed. Some hotspots at both feet and in the beginning of the race some smaller saddle sore issues. That was it. Physically there was absolutely no reason to quit.
Of course I did it for my family, because not just in the year of the race I have been separated often from them either for long training rides or sitting at the desk.
And last but not least as many other riders reported it before: All the countless human beings along the route. I am very happy that I was able to experience it on my own. But so many encouragement and affection I had never got in my life from other people before. What a lot of "so called" friends at home were obviously not able to provide - those people did.   
But the most painful story would be that I have a friend who is road cyclist and without finishing the race he would be assured in his opinion that mountain bikers are all pussies. I wouldn't be able to bear his kidding. ;-) 

I would like to say "Thank you" to all those people who supported me before and especially during the race! And sorry to my family for some sleepless nights.
 
Now I am going to update this blog with stories and pics from time to time.  
 
 

2 comments:

Karsten said...

Herzlichen Glückwunsch.

Udo Schneider said...

Congratulations Michael. I knew that you had the willpower and perseverance to continue on your quest to finish this race despite so many obstacles and set backs.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch. Du kannst sehr stolz sein was Du da vollbracht hast.

Dein Cousin,

Udo