Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day 15: Steamboat Springs

A really short day today. 50 miles for a race like the Tour Divide sounded rather like a wellness trip. But I was done and my legs too. A similar situation like on day seven as I got to Butte. I hoped with a half day off in Steamboat Springs I would be able to fill up my energy resources and could reboot my soft mental condition again.
I had time today, so I had breakfast not until 7 am. Thomas arrived at the lodge after I finished my breakfast. We both agreed to stay in Steamboat. His bike needed a service at Orange Cycles and I promised to take care for a motel room.
I left the lodge five minutes after the two singlespeed guys, but during the relatively short day I saw them never again. Unbelievable what the singlespeed riders are able to accomplish.
The day started hot with a clear blue sky. There was just one major climb on the way to Steamboat with an additional resupply possibility at Clarks store.
To make a long story short, as far as the climbs were moderate Kirstin’s Pizza and the Sandwiches from the breakfast did a good job. But suddenly I was facing off a ramp incredible steep and bumpy. Nobody, really nobody was able to ride this ramp with a full loaded bike. I got off my bike and pushed as long as the double track leant back again.
Landscape wise I got what I expected from Colorado. Riding through Aspen forests, in the distance green mountain ranges with endless green meadows in front and millions of those yellow blooming flowers, simply gorgeous. No racing today, enjoy and relax was the slogan. But before I was able to relax I had to accomplish this one and only climb today. I often pushed my bike. It was a hard nut.
The downhill at the other side was a little bit gusty. The road was bumpy and covered with bigger stones, not really fun with a fully loaded hardtail, but similar to some downhill’s in the Alps. I had to stop two times to shake my legs and hands and gave them a little rest.
I didn’t know where, but anywhere at the following section after the road became smoother again, Dave Blumenthal had his deadly accident 3 years ago. His very sad example was a steady reminder for me staying in my own lane. Many roads are trappy. The downhill-grade is not so high that you have to touch your brakes. But you are riding with high speed and starting to cut the curves or even riding at the other lane, because of bigger potholes. Due to the airflow you don’t hear any vessel neither from behind nor from ahead. There were two or tree situations during my race I had really a guardian angel.
In Clark I stepped into the store for the mandatory coke and some chips to banish the sweet taste of power bars out of my mouth.
Steamboat Springs seemed to be under vacation. The Yampa River was crowded with people who were busy with river tubing. A lot of cyclists were on the way. At Orange Cycles some other riders had to wait for their bikes. I checked in the Rabbit Ears motel and got a room with river view. Nice! After check in I took some time to make the mandatory visit at Starbucks! One Frappuccino Vanilla Bean cooled me down! But I had no service. I was not able to send Thomas a SMS about the location of our motel. I took a calling card from the motel and rode back to Orange Cycle. Work was in progress on his bike, but he wasn’t in. I left the card to one of the mechanics.
At the other side of the hotel was an organic supermarket. After I did a fully resupply for the next day I could say: Not the first choice for someone who is in a race, but rather something for calorie counters.
I did my complete laundry and after Thomas found me we had some delicious food at a Mexican restaurant.    









No comments: