Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 5: Ovando

Thomas, Mirko and I had an awesome breakfast at Holland Lake Lodge. The best I’ve got during the more than three weeks. And in addition we all got a lunch package to go. Like the other days before, the sun was shining from a clear blue sky at this morning. With Richmond Peak one further more familiar climb was scheduled for today. Today’s plan was getting to Lincoln.
After I took some pictures I started the climb up to Richmond Peak. In the past years this pass usually was still snow covered. But other riders reported that the pass is completely snow free now. As I climbed half of the pass I had to eat one of my sandwiches from the lunch package.
With every feet I got higher the view became more and more breathtaking. Almost at the top the road turned into a narrow single track. Remaining snow filled the edges of the trail. The trail was one of the more sophisticated kinds and claimed for more concentration like usual.
The flat top led slowly to a narrow alley of small fir trees into a downhill. The sharp pins of the trees pricked all over my arms and legs. Despite of that it was something different and more exciting like the usual more “boring” downhill’s from the other passes before. The single trail hit a forest road and as I reached the bottom and the next small climb after a fast downhill the outside temperature was in the nineties. I got my daily bonk for an ice cold coke. Seeley Lake was just 1.5 miles off road and I took the turn down toward the refreshment. In a supermarket I drank two extra large cans (about half a gallon) of ice cold coke. What a treat! With a lake of coke in my stomach I started toward Ovando. One or two hours later I heard thunder roaring in the far. In the meantime the sky was covered with clouds and from time to time it started to rain, but just a few drops. As I approached Ovando I saw several big thunderstorms around the little town. The ground was covered with small hail balls. It was 5 PM and in face of the thunderstorms around I didn’t felt like going on this day. In the one and only grocery store I ask for a room in the nearby motel. Unfortunately there was no room left anymore, but I could go for a camp a few feet down the street on a small meadow. I didn’t know, maybe my face was as shocked as I heard the word “camping” that the lady came back a few minutes later and told me she got a whole house for me. The owner would be in just for the weekends. Wow, a whole house for a dirty and stinky biker like me? She charged me 50 bucks for the house, unbelievable! Another guy brought me to the unlocked!! house and I made myself a home. I took a bath, washed and dried out all my dirty and stinky bike clothes.
At Trixies, the one and only restaurant (bad foot and lousy service), I meet some other riders and I was a little bit ashamed as I told them that I had a whole house for me alone. They got a “bed” in one of the storage garage in town.  



At Holland Lake
At Holland Lake
At Richmond Peak

My house in Ovando

No comments: