Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 3: Whitefish

This day passed by relatively uneventful. Early in the morning I packed all my camping stuff together. It was sunny but very cold. The 10 miles to Eureka warmed me a little bit up. I was happy having breakfast and to stock up all my groceries. The way to Whitefish pass was marked with countless smaller up and downs. I felt the long last two days in my legs. And today I also entered the kingdom of pain. I got some hotspots at both of my feet that were burning like fire. And also my big toes felt a little bit numb. Dipping my feet into the cold water of some of the streams nearby the road brought relief for the next one or two hours. As a second issue I got some smaller saddle sores. On the downhill from the Whitefish Pass and up to Red Meadow Lake I was accompanied by a beautiful landscape. At Red Meadow Lake Pass I had to cross some snow fields. But over all just for a few hundred feet. The downhill was fun and I saw myself already at the dinner in Whitefish. But the downhill ended up on a paved road and it began one of those games that I should see almost every day during the next three weeks. Up and down and up and down again. Just small climbs but felt endless. Dinner had to wait. The Divide is not predictable. That's it what I've got to learn in the next days. One hour later like planned I arrived in Whitefish. First I looked for a restaurant. Fortunately I found a Pizzeria and ordered one big plate of pasta. A little bit later Matt Slater entered the restaurant and gave me some company. The phone rang and someone at the other end asked for two riders. The server confirmed that the two riders were in and the unknown person ordered two beers for us. Unbelievable!! The SPOT Tracker obviously revealed him our location. Something like that in Germany - totally impossible!   

 

 

 
Snow on Red Meadows Lakes Pass
Red Meadows Lake
 
Red Meadows Lake

No comments: