Thursday, July 18, 2013

Day 4: Holland Lake

I wouldn’t it call breakfast what I got in the Motel. So I looked for an opportunity to get a decent breakfast in town. I found a small Café directly across the street of the Pizzeria where I had dinner yesterday.
The grocery store was closed as I left the town and I postponed my resupply to Columbia Falls, the next town just a few miles ahead. I found a supermarket and as often happened during the Tour Divide I had to explain what I am doing and where I am going to.
The route zick-zacked over wide open farm land with some very beautiful farm houses. The sunny weather together with the mountains in the background gave the scenery a bright shinning look. Postcard Montana! I didn’t stock up all my water in Columbia Falls because I knew there was a smaller grocery store in Ferndale. But I wasn’t able to find it. I curved up and down the street and tried some side roads. Nothing! Within the next few miles I filled one bladder with water from a stream nearby the road together with a purification tab and at once I used the chance to cool down the hotspots at my feet again.
For the next 50 miles I dipped into the deep Montana forest. I didn’t see any single human being.
The first indication of life I passed in terms of some lumbermen who were sleeping in its tents almost directly on the narrow path I had to turn into.   
I knew Holland Lake Lodge was not far away but I was struggling with the every day up and down game and was really happy as I hit the highway. As I left the highway a sign told me further additional 4 miles. After 3 miles I meet another rider who strayed around some side roads to find the lodge. Together we reached the lodge in the fading daylight. Due to the mosquitoes stopping biking was not a good idea. Especially since they mob on their prey in packs and do not spare any part of the body because of their sanguinariness. 
Holland Lake lodge is a real find. Expensive, but excellent food that is far apart from the daily junk food I’ve got all the days before.   

 
 
In Columbia Falls



No comments: