Monday, June 24, 2013

I am still alive

Sorry for the late post but I need all the time I can grab for recreation. The race exceeds all my expectations and is more than just tough. All the tons of stuff I read, learned and all the preparation are nothing against to be live on the trail. The slogan for every day is: "Survive" Somehow! Within the first two days I've done all that things I was just to avoid. Riding in the dark, drinking water from a stream and camping. Mentally the race is a blast. Two times I was about to pull the plug. On day two you leave your own comfort zone. And with day two or three you open the door to the kingdom of pain. The critical days are day seven to ten. Many riders are dropping the race either they are not able to handle the mental stress or the different pain sources are not bearable anymore, even with painkillers.
I am compared to other riders more or less fine. My sores and pain(s) are surprisingly at a decent low level. Mentally every day is a new fight. Why am I getting myself into? Where is the reward? Nobody and really nobody can imagine the incomprehensible beauty of this continent that we are travelling through its backyard. After every corner a new highlight. And it doesn't matters if it's raining or the sun is shining. The people are absolutely amazing. Many of them are knowing what we are doing here. They cheering from their cars and encourage you where they are able to. For them we are something like national hero's.
Today I entered the state line of Wyoming. Unbelievable! 99% of the day I am riding alone. This is one part of the race I really enjoy. After day eleven you see always the same riders during the day and in the evening.
Many, many things are worth to mention but sleep deprivation is one of the main diseases here at the Tour Divide. But I am gonna tell all these stories after the race. I promise.
 

4 comments:

Georg D. said...

Very nice report!
Keep on going, you are doing very very well! And I can really feel your emotions and your circumstances about this great experience...
You are IN the race now.
Georg
(www.tourdivide.de)

Volker Müsch said...

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. * R.E.S.P.E.C.T. *R.E.S.P.E.C.T. !!!!

Super Leistung ! Alles Gute und jede Menge Power für die zweite Hälfte der Tour. Du legst ja echt ein gutes Tempo hin. Astrein !!!

Gruß, Volker.

falkenjaeger said...

Hi Michael, habe endlich Deinen Blog wiedergefunden. Habe mit Schrecken verfolgt, dass Du die Schönheiten meines Lieblingsstaates noch etwas ausführlicher genießen wolltest. But you are back on track. Keep on going, you are almost there!!

Anonymous said...

I keep my eyes on you ! Bin schwer beeindruckt. Weiterhin alles Gute und : Enjoy yourself ! ;-)